This blog contains experience gained over the years of implementing (and de-implementing) large scale IT applications/software.

SAP Unicode Conversion Nametab Inconsistency

During a unicode conversion of a SAP NW731 system, I saw a problem where a number of BI FACT tables (/BIC/E*) were present in the SAP nametab, existed in the Oracle database, but they didn’t exist in the DDIC (SAP data dictionary visible in SE14).

SPUMG nametab

I asked the BI administrator to confirm that these tables were not referenced in the BI cubes, and they weren’t.  He suggested that these tables used to belong to a cube that was long since deleted.  This means that at some point there must have been a program bug that has left the nametab inconsistent with the DDIC.
There are no SAP notes about what to do in a situation like this, but there are two options:
1, Exclude the tables from the unicode conversion in transaction SPUMG by adjusting the exceptions list.
or
2, Manually adjust the SAP nametab.
I chose option 2, since this was the cleanest option and would hopefully leave the system in a better state for future updates.
I found SAP note 29159 contained some useful information on a similar subject.  The note suggested writing some simple ABAP code to delete these tables from the SAP nametab tables DDNTT and DDNTF.
Whilst this was simple enough, I decided that I didn’t need to go as far as writing ABAP.  I manually removed the entries at the database level using SQL:


SQL> delete from sapsr3.ddntt where tabname ='<TABLE>';
SQL> delete from sapsr3.ddntf where tabname ='<TABLE>';

Then restarted the system (or you could sync the nametab buffer with “/n$NAM”).
This fixed the issue and allowed the unicode conversion to continue.

UPDATE: I’ve since found that it’s possible to list the contents of the Nametab buffer and delete specific tables from the buffer using the function modules DD_SHOW_NAMETAB and DD_NAMETAB_DELETE.

Corrupt OEL 5.7 ISO Prevents Boot into Installer

I ran into this little problem whilst trying to install OEL 5.7 into a Hyper-V environment.

Kernel panic – not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(xxx,xx)“.

I tried all different manner of parameters with “linux xxxxx” as recommended by the installer.
None of these worked.
It looked like the Hyper-V drivers weren’t working at first.

So I re-downloaded the OEL 5.7 ISO, and re-attached to the VM cd-rom.
Then it worked!
Must have been a corrupt OEL 5.7 ISO that prevented it booting into install/setup from Hyper-V.

SAP PI Integration Builder Unable to Launch and Verify Fail

When starting the Integration Builder or any other Java based application for SAP PI, you get a Java error displayed on your PC for the aii_bdir_client.jar stating that it was “Unable to launch the application” or verify the Java signature.

This problem is caused by the expiration of the self-signed Java certificates that certify the server where the Java classes are deployed from for the Java Web Start functionality.

To fix the issue:

– From the main SAP PI Web Screen (https://<server>:50##00/rep), select “Administration” in the top right.
– Log in with your PISUPER user.
– Then on the left-hand side, select “Java Web Start Administration”.
– On the right click the “Re-initialization and force signing” button.

– Select the “Directory” tab on the left-hand side.
– Then on the left-hand side, select “Java Web Start Administration”.
– On the right click the “Re-initialization and force signing” button.

– Close Internet Explorer.

When you next try accessing the Integration Builder (or other Java Apps), you will be presented with a holding screen whilst the Java server collects and re-signs all the required Java classes.

It usually takes around 5-10 minutes to complete.
After completion, the Java apps should work as before.

SAP Index is in the Customer Namespace

Scenario: You have your own SAP customer namespace (e.g. /MYSPACE/) and you are trying to add a new custom index Z01 to one of your tables in SE11.

When you try and “check” the index or activate it in SE11, you keep getting the error “Index xxxx is in the customer namespace”:

This problem is caused by the fact that the index name is the three character part of the index name at the end, and does not include the table name.

As an example:

/MYSPACE/MYTABLE~Z01 means the index name is Z01.

Because your table is in your customer namespace /MYSPACE, you cannot use the Y or Z development namespaces in your index name.

Therefore, remove the Z or Y from the index name.
You should be able to create an index /MYSPACE/MYTABLE~C01 instead.

SAP PI 7.0 JDBC Connectivity Issues

The following SAP Notes contain useful information about fixes in the SAP PI Adapter Framework Core (SAPXIAFC) and Adapter Framework (SAPXIAF) components.

The notes were found whilst searching for component: BC-XI-CON-JDB (JDBC Adapter).

SAP Note 1483974 – File and JDBC sender adapter’s retry not working after error
SAP Note 1510659 – Improvement in Locking, Logging and Monitoring in JDBC
SAP Note 1083488 – XI FTP/JDBC sender channel stop polling indefinitely(04/04S)
SAP Note 1398891 – XI/PI Adapter for Oracle: Overcoming DB Connection Issues

I was seeing a constant problem whereby the JDBC Adapter would not restart after the destination database system went down for backup or had a failure, or was not started at the time that the SAP PI system was started up.

The SAP note 1483974 was interesting as it highlighted the use of the Scheduler, which I didn’t know existed.